Just Communities/Comunidades Justas
Just Communities/Comunidades Justas is a grassroots campaign of Centro Presente supported by the American Friends Service Committee (AFSC) and the Massachusetts chapter of the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU-MA). In response to the implementation of the Secure Communities Program (S-Comm) in Boston the Just Communities/Comunidades Justas Campaign was launched in the summer of 2010. Recognizing that S-Comm is only one component of a larger problem with the U.S. Government’s current “Enforcement Only” response to immigration in this country, the Campaign seeks to not only educate and mobilize people against this program, but also to organize our members (Latino immigrants) in order to more effectively engage our elected officials and the public in a discussion about proactive and humane responses to our broken immigration system.
Specific goals of the campaign
- Educate Centro Presente’s members and members of the Latino Immigrant community about the negative impact of the implementation of law enforcement programs such as Secure Communities and other ICE initiatives.
- Develop the leadership of the members of the Immigrant Rights Committee of Centro Presente and use the campaign as an organizing tool. (Recruit Latino immigrant members for our Immigrant Rights committee)
- Establish and improve our relationships with local elected officials and educate them about the negative impact of the implementation of programs such as Secure Communities and other ICE initiatives in Massachusetts.
- Establish and improve our relationships with local law enforcement authorities (Local Police) and educate them about the negative impact of the implementation of programs such as Secure Communities and other ICE initiatives in Massachusetts.
- Facilitate a series of Community training sessions about S-Comm
- Identify and visit with immigrant families affected by the implementation of S-Comm or any other immigration law enforcement program.
- Host a series of public community hearings where immigrant families affected with the implementation of S- Comm or any other incidents with ICE, testify about their experiences
- Meet with the chiefs of police of Massachusetts cities with a diverse delegation including members of the immigrant community who live in the cities that we are visiting, members of the faith community and local organizations. The purpose of the meetings is to raise awareness about the detrimental effects of S-Comm on community policing efforts.
- Organize a monthly meeting with our allies in order to collectively coordinate activities and public actions.
- Produce a monthly Al Día con Centro Presente radio show about Secure Communities and other enforcement programs.
- Develop and send to the MEDIA Press Release and Press Advisories about every activity of the Just Communities/Comunidades Justas campaign. Patricia
- Request interviews on TV and Radio programs to promote our campaign activities and try to change the frame that the media is using about S-Comm from a law enforcement action to the destruction of families.